[CentOS] virtualization on the desktop a myth, or a reality?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 19:54:36 UTC 2011

On 3/2/2011 1:35 PM, Rudi Ahlers wrote:

> Differently put, we already do this with servers. One big&  fast Quad
> XEON can run many client's Virtual Machines, very easily. And many of
> those Virtual Machines host a few hundred websites, thus saving a lot
> on rack space, electricity, etc, etc.

Servers are normally optimized with lots of disk spindles to spread
multi-user use of the one remaining slow resource around.

> How difficult will it really be todo the same on a normal Desktop PC,
> with what's available on CentOS ATM?

Give the VM its own disk and it won't have much impact on the host.
You'll probably still want to run video-intense things natively, though.
  And if you aren't a developer doing throwaway tests, what's the point
of using a VM for resource-intensive things anyway?

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com