[CentOS] virtualization on the desktop a myth, or a reality?

David Sommerseth dazo at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Mar 2 21:16:05 UTC 2011

On 02/03/11 21:12, Dag Wieers wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Mar 2011, David Sommerseth wrote:
>
>> Other than that, SPICE is probably the future [1] on Linux.  That should
>> slowly begin to be useful in RHEL5, RHEL6 and Fedora 14, if I'm not much
>> mistaken.  Not sure how much is implemented in RHEL5/CentOS5 though.
>> However, for SPICE to work, you need to use KVM.  And you need the qemu-kvm
>> part to initialise the SPICE display properly as well.
>
> You need qemu-spice for using SPICE, which does not ship with RHEL5 or
> RHEL6. On top of that, SPICE is only supported by Red Hat for RHEV, not
> libvirt. That may change in the future, ... but when, nobody knows ;-)

It used to be a separate qemu-spice.  But I believe with Fedora 14 (and
most probably RHEL6, I haven't checked) that should now be merged into qemu
upstream.

<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Spice>

So I presume SPICE will be more widely supported in RHEL, considering
Fedora is the "maturing stage" for many RHEL features.  Which means, CentOS
should get it in the end as well.

I believe they've mostly spent time stabilising it, and slowly working
towards open sourcing the SPICE code.  IIRC, the SPICE technology was
acquired when Red Hat bought Qumranet.  So it's probably been quite a
journey so far for these guys :)

kind regards,

David Sommerseth