[CentOS] Release 5.5 64-bit hangs on boot

Kaplan, Andrew H.

AHKAPLAN at PARTNERS.ORG
Thu Mar 3 18:18:12 UTC 2011

Hi there --

I just completed installing the 64-bit version of Release 5.5, and while the
installation and initial configuration
completed successfully, a full boot-up is never completed successfully. During
the system boot-up sequence
the list of services appears to complete, but then a blank blue screen appears,
and while the mouse pointer is
present, it does not respond to any input. I let the system stand, in the hope
it would correct itself, for about
half an hour, but the status did not change.

I did the installation a second time to see if this was a freak occurrence.
Unfortunately, after the second attempt
was completed, the same issue occurred on the server.

Prior to doing the installation, I confirmed the DVD and CD media were tested
and found to be valid. When I did
the installation, I went with the base install along with Server, Server GUI,
and Virtualization support. The server
hardware is a Dell R515 system with two 500 GB SAS drives that are
hardware-based RAID1 that was completely
optimized prior to the software install.

Has anyone experienced this issue before, and has an idea as to what is going
on, and how it can be corrected?

Thanks.

dispose of the e-mail.