[CentOS] virtualization on the desktop a myth, or a reality?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 20:55:48 UTC 2011

On 3/3/2011 2:37 PM, Lamar Owen wrote:

>> Compare against CIFS/Samba shares or NFS exports bewteen booted
>> host/guests.  You get native filesystem support (under the host/guest as
>> relevant), and mappings via CIFS/Samba and/or NFS/NIS+.
>>
>> The win is still virtualization.
>
> There are situations where dual-booting is a necessary thing to do; one of those is low-latency professional audio where accurate timekeeping is required; basically anything that needs the -rt preemptive kernel patches.  I actually have need of this, from multiple OS's, and while I've tried the 'run it in VMware' thing with Windows and professional audio applications the results were not satisfactory.

But you can usually run the one that is picky as the host OS and the
other(s) virtualized.  Or set up for dual boot, but give your virtual
machine direct access to the partition (VMware can do this - not sure
about the others).  Then you only have to boot into the other OS when
you need to run the specific app that doesn't work well in a VM.

> There are commercially developed and supported drivers for cross-platform uses put out by Paragon Software; ext[234]fs on Windows and OS X, HFS+ on Linux and Windows, and full NTFS (with lots of utilities) on OS X and Linux.
>
> HFS+ would be the preferred filesystem to interchange with Mac OS X, but the in-kernel Linux drivers for HFS have issues; if it's for read-only it's not a problem, but the in-kernel driver is unsafe for anything like a heavy load, with filesystem corruption possible especially when deleting lots of small files.

As long as you have access to a network, just connect up a common
nfs/samba share from some other machine.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com