[CentOS] Gnu Screen - terminal issues

Dr. Ed Morbius dredmorbius at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 23:49:37 UTC 2011

on 16:50 Thu 03 Mar, Les Mikesell (lesmikesell at gmail.com) wrote:

> >> You need _a_ machine somewhere that can host a freenx session.  It
> >> doesn't need to be the target of the ssh connections, just something
> >> that will mostly stay powered up if you want the session to stay active
> >> all the time.  A development box or even a VM session that would work -
> >> or a desktop machine if it stays on all the time.  It doesn't even have
> >> to run X on its own console.
> >
> > Frankly, given the alternative ease of automatically redefining $TERM,
> > that strikes me as a slightly overengineered solution.
> >
> > Not that I'm intrinsically opposed to overengineering.
>
> Don't knock it until you've tried it.  A full GUI desktop, even mostly
> hosting a bunch of terminal windows is a lot more comfortable place to
> work than a screen session

I use screen *very* extensively, including locally.  It works quite
well.

I run Linux locally, not just remotely.

> and mousable cut/paste that works even with the local OS running the
> NX client is extremely handy

I've got that natively via X11.

> (how many times do you do the same command on several machines?).

    for host in <list>; do ssh $host 'commands'; done
    dsh hostgroup 'commands'

> I almost never log in directly at a linux console anymore and if I
> need to do something from home or remotely, I just pick the session
> that was my last desktop at work.

What's your desktop system?

I'm living in X11 on a laptop with good suspend/restore.  A new terminal
is hotkeyed, so no mousing around to get that.  If I'm on a host
frequently I'll generally have a screen session or several running
there.  Few if any remote clients have any X support.  Works pretty well
for me.  There's no win (in this case) for freenx.

I meant to note earlier:  the upstream NX developers have gone non-free,
no?  Is there a free software development branch?

--
Dr. Ed Morbius, Chief Scientist /            |
  Robot Wrangler / Staff Psychologist        | When you seek unlimited power