[CentOS] virtualization on the desktop a myth, or a reality?

Dr. Ed Morbius dredmorbius at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 23:55:56 UTC 2011

on 16:44 Thu 03 Mar, Lamar Owen (lowen at pari.edu) wrote:
> On Thursday, March 03, 2011 04:24:14 pm Dr. Ed Morbius wrote:
> > I think I addressed that reality.
>
> Part of it, yes.
>
> > For some needs, you need to be on
> > bare metal, though whether this is accomplished via multi-booting or
> > multiple systems (if you're doing professional music editing, presumably
> > you can justify a dedicated system to that task).
>
> It's not the computer portion of a separate dedicated system that
> would be expensive; it's the audio interfaces, patching, and control
> surfaces.  Much much much easier to dual-boot in a workflow-friendly
> fashion.  It would be decidedly nice to have virtualization running
> well enough to handle all the needs; but it requires twice the
> capacity machine to do it.

I thought a bit about that when posting earlier.  I still disagree WRT
dual-booting.  And no, virtualization doesn't need twice the hardware by
a long shot (aggregated load averaging, shared componentry, and a host
of other savings).

Audio's pretty easy, as you could select between sources and output (or
input) accordingly.

Ditto inputs (keyboard, mouse, etc.).  Storage might be
virtualized/aggregated somehow.

For video, you want high-performance.  I'm thinking an integrated KVM
might work, or something like it.  If done in hardware with digital
inputs it should be pretty good.  How you'd split / select displays
would be a design question.

--
Dr. Ed Morbius, Chief Scientist /            |
  Robot Wrangler / Staff Psychologist        | When you seek unlimited power