[CentOS] Centos 6 - What are you looking forward to?

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Fri Mar 4 14:08:28 UTC 2011

On Fri, Mar 04, 2011 at 05:33:20AM -0600, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On 03/03/2011 11:44 PM, Jimmy Bradley wrote:
> >     I do have one question about Cent OS 6.
> > Sonetimes back, I remember reading that the plan was to spread the iso's
> > over multiple cd's, rather than put it all on 1 dvd. Is that still the
> > plan? As far as when it's released, I say take all the time you need.
> > I'd rather have an os that works, than something that's just thrown
> > together, and is about as stable as windows me, or vista.
> >

> That will depend upon how upstream wrote the item that splits the RPMs.
>  The distros are getting so big now that it might not make sense to
> continue to create CDs ... CentOS 5.6 will have at least 8 (and maybe 9)
> CDs for x86_64.  I would expect that number to grow for CentOS 6.  In
> fact, we already had to split 5.5 x86_64 over 2 DVDs, and both arches
> for CentOS 6 will likely be 2 DVDs.

How reasonable would it be to offer DVD images that fit on DL media? I
know I don't own any DL media, and probably most others don't either,
but I at least do have DL-capable optical drives. If a good enough
reason came up, e.g., my favorite distro making DL isos available, I'd
probably go buy some.