[CentOS] Gnu Screen - terminal issues

Sean Carolan scarolan at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 15:10:43 UTC 2011

> In this case, you might want to conditionally assign some reasonable
> value on failure.  Say:
>
>    tput -T $TERM init >/dev/null 2>&1 || export TERM=xterm
>
> 'tset -q' is another test which can be used.

The remote host's $TERM variable is in fact xterm.  When I connect to
the screen session the $TERM variable is 'screen'.  I think it's
because I'm opening a new ssh session in each screen window.  Not a
huge deal; I mainly use this for short commands, and if I need to run
something longer I just write it all out in a text editor and paste it
into the terminal.