[CentOS] Centos 6

James B. Byrne byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Fri Mar 4 15:53:44 UTC 2011

On Wed, March 2, 2011 20:43, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> Do you think we are not trying or damnedest to get it done as fast
> as we possibly can?
>
> What, exactly, is the problem here?

The problem here is fear.

I am not now asking, nor to the best of my ability to recall have I
ever asked, for when a particular version of CentOS will be made
available.  I have nothing but admiration for those who contribute
meaningfully to producing something that I value highly, including
the folks at RedHat.  Nor do I feel that the CentOS project is in
trouble.

On the other hand, the first indication that a project is in trouble
is usually prolonged and unexpected delay in getting the next
anticipated release out.  As that time drags on the anxiety level of
those who have committed themselves, and their companies, to a
project naturally rises. Most of us take these things with more than
a grain of salt.  We have seen it before and we will see it again. I
came to CentOS through through CAOS which I came to from WhiteBox.
And, if the need arises, I will no doubt find acceptable
alternatives to CentOS.

But other may feel, sometimes with good reason, their competence
questioned or job security threatened if their selection turns out
to be a dead end.  These people desire some sort of assurance that
their choice will still prove correct however things appear now.
That is what they are looking for.

Their question, when will it be ready? is not really what they want
answered.  They are looking for assurance in a form that they can
show others.  A due date seems to satisfy that desire but something
else, a schedule of milestones, a status report, that shows activity
might well suffice.

Canada  L8E 3C3