[CentOS] Gnu Screen - terminal issues

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 16:04:12 UTC 2011

On 3/4/2011 8:51 AM, Alfred von Campe wrote:
> On Mar 3, 2011, at 17:50, Les Mikesell wrote:
>
>> I almost never log in
>> directly at a linux console anymore and if I need to do something from
>> home or remotely, I just pick the session that was my last desktop at work.
>
> I didn't know you could do this with NX.  I've been using VNC to connect
> to my session at work from home, but it's kinda slow.  So how do you use
> NX technology to connect to an *existing* GUI session (in my case Gnome
> if that matters)?  Sorry, I know this is off topic, but then again this
> entire thread seems to be headed off on a tangent...

Theoretically NX can do a 'shadow' session where the client connects to
an existing current connection, and as a special case, this can be the
console.  However, I've had trouble getting those connections to work at
all (I think the size and color depth has to match exactly or something)
and when they do, they don't really perform any better than vnc anyway
and you can't resize the desktop to match your local screen.  So, the
way to do it is to start the session under NX to begin with.  There's
some overhead if you do it on the local machine but except for playing
video it shouldn't be enough to notice.  But if you can run your session
on a faster server box that is noisy enough that you don't want it at
your desk - or you have a slow/cheap box at your desk, or move around to
different machines, or need access to a different OS, it comes out as a
win to run everything that way. In my case I generally park it filling
one screen of a dual-headed windows box.  And even those things don't
apply for your main work, you might park a session on some
well-connected machine that you can reach remotely through vpn or ssh.
Then a single client connection to that gives you access to both
whatever you left running there and all of the internal machines it can
reach.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com