[CentOS] IPTABLES rule for separating users

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Sat Mar 5 09:15:29 UTC 2011

On 03/05/11 12:58 AM, erikmccaskey64 wrote:
> I have an OpenWrt 10.03 router [ IP: 192.168.1.1 ], and it has a DHCP
> server pool: 192.168.1.0/24 - clients are using it through
> wireless/wired connection. Ok!

um, this is CentOS, not OpenWRT, I believe they have their own email
lists...

however, since we're here and I've looked into those htings in some
depth....  The LAN ports on the WRT54 family routers are a hardware
ethernet switch, and packets aren't normally passed through the WRT's
processor.  You *can* reconfigure the switch to make each LAN port a
different VLAN but then every packet has to go through the rather slow
WRT CPU, and it only has a single 100baseT ethernet port, which now has
to service 5 VLAN  (WAN + 4 LANs).   The WLAN is on a seperate port to
the processor which normally it bridges.