[CentOS] Centos 6 - What are you looking forward to?

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Sun Mar 6 14:38:59 UTC 2011

On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 8:50 AM, Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik at iki.fi> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 04, 2011 at 03:33:10PM -0500, Kwan Lowe wrote:
>> On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 3:11 PM, John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:
>>
>> > IBM Power servers since the Power4+ CPU (they are up to Power7 now) have
>> > hardware partitioning support, commonly known as LPAR.  LPAR can be
>> > divided in units of 1/10th of a CPU.   The software to manage this is
>> > now called PowerVM (its been called other names in the past, not all
>> > polite).
>> [informative text snipped]
>>
>> Yes, it is some nice stuff...
>>
>> In particular, having the hardware partitioning capability plays nice
>> with Oracle licensing. Under KVM or Xen we still have to license the
>> entire system.  This probably won't change with the newer kvm, but one
>> can hope.
>>

> It's kind of funny since OracleVM *is* Xen, and it's counted as
> "hardware partitioning" :)
>
> -- Pasi
>
>> On the Linux side I would like to see how KSM (kernel memory merge)
>> stacks up against memory compression on the Power7 side. Not sure if
>> this made it into RHEL6, but hope springs eternal...
>>
>> Storage management is always a big issue for me.  AIX has some really
>> great tools for managing disks. In Linux the LUN, block and fs layer
>> are still relatively decoupled which gives an enormous amount of
>> flexibility but certain types of changes require multiple commands on
>> Linux.
>>
>> On the desktop side I've been running RHEL6 as my primary environment
>> since release. Transition was easy. My old kickstart files needed
>> tweaking, but so far it's been a breeze.

What did you hve to tweak? I noticed the new use of the '%end' flag to
mark the end of a section, and the new partitioning structure which
names the LVM based volumes and groups things which contain the
hostname. (This is a big deal if you have multiple virtual hosts on a
machihe and want to compare their internal LVM's side by side from the
virtualization server.)