[CentOS] Octet

Simon Matter simon.matter at invoca.ch
Mon Mar 7 12:57:05 UTC 2011

> On 06/03/2011 13:44, Always Learning wrote:
>> I also saw Honeywell upgrading a L66 machine so it would run faster. The
>> engineer pulled-out a PCB and took it away. That 'upgrade' cost over 1
>> million NLG (Dutch guilders).
> Very annoying those big iron companies. We had two banks of ICL Eagle
> drives (10GB in five full height filing cabinet sized boxes). We
> upgraded to Albatrosses (20GB) for a mill or so (don't know the actual
> price). All the engineer did was swap a couple of jumpers and told us to
> reformat in M2FM instead of MFM. Definitely worth the money.

In case of NC machines it was quite common that the amount of memory
usable was just a configuration setting. After you paid a horrible amount
of money a service engineer came, entered a special code, reconfigured the
amount of memory and that was it. With a modem connection it could even be
done remotely :)

Simon