[CentOS] OT: grep regex pointer appreciated

Bill Campbell centos at celestial.com
Mon Mar 7 17:55:26 UTC 2011

On Mon, Mar 07, 2011, Robert Grasso wrote:
>Hello,

>On my opinion, grep is not powerful enough in order to achieve what you
>want. It would be preferable to use at least some (old but powerful) tools
>such sed, awk, or even better : perl. Actually, what you need is a tool
>providing a capture buffer (this is perl jargon - "back references" in sed
>jargon) in which you can get the string you want to extract, rather than
>trying to build up a positive matching regex, as the string boundaries seem
>to be easy enough to describe with regexs.

One can use pcregrep which is grep that groks perl regular
expressions.

Bill
Fax:            (206) 232-9186  Skype: jwccsllc (206) 855-5792

If the government can take a man's money without his consent, there is no
limit to the additional tyranny it may practise upon him; for, with his
money, it can hire soldiers to stand over him, keep him in subjection,
plunder him at discretion, and kill him if he resists.
	Lysander Spooner, 1852