[CentOS] yum tries to install a mix of architectures

Tim Dunphy bluethundr at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 15:12:49 UTC 2011

Hi guys,

 I took your advice and performed a  "yum remove *386" on this box.
Also yes I can easily append x86_64 or i386 (depending on the machine)
each time I go to install an app. But my question remains is there any
way to instruct yum to automatically select the right package
architecture through a setting in one of the config files rather than
having to specify which architecture you are working with each time.
This is just a curiosity and not of course anything at all critical or
important.

thanks for your help.

Tim

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 9:54 AM, Ross Walker <rswwalker at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 7, 2011, at 9:41 AM, Tim Dunphy <bluethundr at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On my centos boxes whenever I try to install packages I get a mix of
>> packages from the repos that are both i386 and x86_64 in
>> archictecture:
>
> Yum doesn't implicitly know if you want the 64 or 32-bit versions so it selects both. If you only want 64-bit put .x86_64 at the end of the package name.
>
> The 32-bit versions are there for 32-bit binary application support.
>
> -Ross

GPG me!!