[CentOS] Creating the symbolic links in the /boot and /boot/grub/

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 03:04:00 UTC 2011

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 9:58 PM, Todd Cary <todd at aristesoftware.com> wrote:
> I started a new thread since the original one is getting rather long.
>
> I have retrieved the files I deleted in /boot and /boot/grub,
> however I need to make links for
>
> /boot/System.map  (System.map -> System.map-2.6.9-89.35.1)
> /boot/vmlinuz  (vmlinuz -> vmlinuz-2.6.9-89.35.1)
> /boot/grub/menu.lst (menu.lst -> ./grub.conf)

Instead, re-install your kernel. "yum reinstall kernel". This should
regenerate your symlinks correctly, except possibly the grub.conf.

> If it was not so important to get it correct, I would appreciate
> the syntax for the command.  Usually I would figure it out.
>
> Since I have restored the files (I will double check to make sure
> they are all there), do I need to run grub-install?

i think yes. The old location of the boot loader is listed in
/boot/grub/grub.conf, and should be used as the argument to that
command. grub is much smarter than LILO used to be, but I think the
bootstrap procedure relies on knowing details of where the fiddly bits
of grub live on the relevant ex2 compatible filesytem.