[CentOS] Apache/Active Directory authentication

Dvorkin, Asya

dvorkias at umdnj.edu
Wed Mar 9 14:24:28 UTC 2011

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to figure out the best way to accomplish below project and would appreciate your input.

I need to setup a web page on CentOS with Active Directory authentication.

So far I've accomplished the following:

-  Setup httpd.conf to successfully authenticate against AD by passing my username/passwd.

<Directory /var/www/html/secure>
  Allow from All
  AuthType Basic
  AuthName "Ldap test area"
  AuthBasicProvider ldap
  AuthzLDAPAuthoritative on
  AuthLDAPURL "ldap://server:389/OU=OU=name,OU=area,DC=core,DC=test,DC=edu?sAMAccountName?sub?(objectClass=*)"
  AuthLDAPBindDN "username at core"
  AuthLDAPBindPassword password
 require valid-user
</Directory>

-  In addition, I used LikeWise software and was able to successfully join AD.

I was wondering if there is a way to do http authentication without passing my username/password considering server is already binded to AD, thus authenticated.

Would I be able to utilize PAM authentication for this purpose?

# httpd -v
Server version: Apache/2.2.3
Server built:   Aug 30 2010 12:28:40
# more /etc/redhat-release