[CentOS] Server hangs on CentOS 5.5

compdoc compdoc at hotrodpc.com
Wed Mar 9 23:06:00 UTC 2011

> compdoc wrote:
>> I'll re-seat the CPU, heatsink, and fan on the next downtime.
> >
> >Is the CPU overheating? Pointless to reseat the cpu or even remove the
>> heatsink, if not.

>No evidence to suggest that it is.

As much as I love telling anecdotes, I have none to tell you concerning cpu
reseating. I've never seen it fix a problem.

Maybe that was something they needed to do back in 1998, but cpu and ram
sockets are a reliable technology these days.

Removing and then reinserting is likely to do more damage than it will fix.

I think you're on the right track - use diagnostic tools and see what you
can find. The more poking around you do the better.

I do agree about bad caps - even one with a bulging top can cause
crashing/rebooting. They need to be checked both on the motherboard and
inside the PSU.

However, if the motherboard is 2 years old or less, capacitor problems on
the motherboard will become less likely the newer it is. They've been making
some excellent low cost boards with solid caps for a while.

The older boards with that problem are still around but most have died by
now. Cheaper PSUs have a cap problem even these days, though.

Oh, and both the motherboard and PSU circuit board should be examined for
burned components. We have some hellacious lighting strikes here in Denver,
and stuff blows up.

Hey, I did manage an anecdote after all!