[CentOS] Server hangs on CentOS 5.5

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 02:03:49 UTC 2011

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 6:49 PM, B.J. McClure <keepertoad at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> B.J. McClure
> keepertoad at bellsouth.net
>
> Sent from MacBook-Air
>

> On Mar 10, 2011, at 5:28 PM, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 11:13 AM, Michael Eager <eager at eagerm.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Previous cleaning have been with canned compressed air.
>>> Thanks for the caution about vacuums and static.  I may
>>> use the vacuum on the case fans from the outside.  The
>>> case should provide an adequate static shield.
>>
>> I've had good results with a damp, soft cloth or Q-tip with distilled
>> water for awkward bits. and filters, and that cloth for the case
>> itself. It also looks noticeably newer, which helps with walking
>> investors through a small machine room.
>
> I must respectfully disagree with any application of water, distilled or otherwise to things electronic.  I was taught in the Navy, and my engineering career has confirmed, that cleaning of electronic components should be done with low pressure, dried, compressed air.  50 psi max.  If some solvent must be used, try alcohol.  Evaporates quickly, leaves no residue and has an affinity for water.

Typical drug-store alcohol is "rubbing alcohol", and is 30% water.

I designed medical electronics for a dozen years. Acohol has its uses,
but water is much cheaper, safer, and you don't have fumes to deal
with. Shall we discuss the effectives of surface etch resist and
cladding in protecting circuit boards from damage, and the effects of
alcohol on low cost electronic sockets?