[CentOS] The delays on CentOS 5.6 are causing EPEL incompatibilities

Ned Slider ned at unixmail.co.uk
Sun Mar 20 15:39:49 UTC 2011

On 20/03/11 15:23, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> There are significant components of the upstream 5.6 release which are
> stuck behind the CentOS 5.6 release process, but are now incorporated
> in EPEL 5 components. In particular, the "php53" package is now
> necessary for the "drupal6" EPEL components, due to the long out of
> date PHP 5.1 in the default upstream vendor's codebase.
>
> I see that some of these components are available in the "testing"
> repository at http://dev.centos.org/centos/5/CentOS-Testing.repo. But
> this isn't published with centos-release. fasttrack is. Would it be
> reasonable to push these "testing" components over to "fasttrack"?
> Given our "upstream vendor's" policy of making all the updates
> available to all the previous releases in their main "channels", I'm
> not sure there's any reason not to present them, at least to the
> fasttrack" channel, and migrate them from "fasttrack" to "updates" as
> necessary.
>
> Other components for such fasttrack publication might include bind97,
> which some CentOS users have been asking for.

We've had this discussion before - the fasttrack repository is a rebuild
of the upstream FasTrack channel, nothing more. Except it's never
actually been populated for CentOS-5.

The correct place for these packages is in os/5.6 when released. In the
meantime they have been publicly released to testing for those who want
early access (fasttrack access if you prefer) or who want to test and
provide feedback.

Incompatibilities between EPEL and CentOS caused due to the delay in
releasing 5.6 are a matter for EPEL to resolve. CentOS are doing their
best to resolve the issue their end by getting 5.6 out as fast as possible.