[CentOS] The delays on CentOS 5.6 are causing EPEL incompatibilities

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 16:34:46 UTC 2011

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 12:13 PM, Drew <drew.kay at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Did we read the same page? When you buy Novell (SUSE) support for RedHat
>> EL, you will still run your original RedHat EL installation but then
>> update packages rebuilt by Novell. Technically that's the same like adding
>> the CentOS repo config to your RedHat installation and then install all
>> updates from CentOS instead of RedHat. What a mess, why would anyone in
>> the world want this? And then pay $ for the mess...
>
> Most likely because of relative cost and/or perceived value of SLES vs RHEL?
>
> Novell is essentially offering to help you while you switch existing
> kit over to SLES. If you're already paying for a RHEL subscription,
> Novell's offer may have a lower cost or offer better value then RHEL

>From experience with previous SuSE releases, it's also a really bad
move. Has anyone else worked with SuSE the last few years and attest
whether they've addressed the joke that is their setup tool (YaST),
the insistence on only one kernel, or the mish-mosh of installing
their authorized non-RPM bundled NVidia or other drivers? I'd urge
someone considering both to jump to our favorite upstream vendor
*immediately* for commercial support, and migrate exactly the *other*
way. There were some preferences in Europe for KDE, which is why I
wound up working with SuSE, but the compatibility of Gnome and KDE has
matured to where one can reasonable select either on CentOS and our
favorite upstream vendor's enterprise linux. And for that money, you
actually get feature requests accomplished and the authors of the
technology to help fix bugs.