[CentOS] Affordable KVM over IP switch

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 15:07:42 UTC 2011

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 10:48 AM, Rudi Ahlers <Rudi at softdux.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 4:34 PM, Devin Reade <gdr at gno.org> wrote:
>> Michael B Allen <ioplex at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Are there any KVM over IP switches that are not thousands of dollars?
>>> Ideally a 3-4 port switch for a few hundred seems reasonable to me.
>>
>> I can attest that the Adderlink iPEPS and iPEPS-DA are excellent units.
>> They're both in the 500-1000 range.  They're intended for a single
>> machine, but as long as your access policies allow for it, putting
>> an electronic KVM switch (~$200) between multiple servers and the
>> iPEPS works well.
>>

> Isn't it cheaper, at this price range to get a motherboard with
> built-in KVMOIP support? I know many Intel & SuperMicro server boards
> offer this either on board, or as an added module. Even on the smaller
> / cheaper SuperMicro boards I could add KVMOIP support for about $40
> per server. And, it doesn't takup any more space on the racks and has
> much less clutter than those spiders

Note. This is *NOT* CentOS, this is general systems discussion.

That's great until you want to connect another session, or haven't had
a chance to configure a new machine and want to do it remotely, or you
want to leave your mom's netbook in the rack while you re-install it
for her. (This just came up on another list.)