[CentOS] The delays on CentOS 5.6 are causing EPEL incompatibilities

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Wed Mar 23 18:19:01 UTC 2011

On Wed, 23 Mar 2011, Les Mikesell wrote:

> It is just hard for an outsider to reconcile the statements about the
> build process not needing any changes or more resources with the lack of
> a target time.  Or that binary compatibility is the critical thing with
> the distribution becoming incompatible with 3rd party repositories built
> against upstream's current base.  Or that it is easy enough to do by
> yourself with problems delaying a release.  The parts just don't seem to
> fit together.

I guess you are saying you are an outsider, Les ... get off
the bench talking the game, and start testing

As to the needs of an individual rebuilding the sources,
compared to a distribution of CentOS much wider coverage,
HughesJr already pointed out that literally millions of
machines are affected by a rushed release; exploratory
trailling builds for a single build 'scratch' effort are
scarcely comparable.  There is no reason they SHOULD 'fit
together'

Life is like that -- messy and not exact --- I gave two
specific examples of binary compatability mattering; on the
-devel list a person says they've never seen the problem.

These are not conflicting observations --- just the well known
fact that one cannot 'prove' a negative fact

 	The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

-- Russ herrold