[CentOS] Some relevant information

Rob Kampen rkampen at kampensonline.com
Thu Mar 24 02:43:30 UTC 2011

Sam Trenholme wrote:
>>> * As mentioned before, Scientific Linux 6.0 is out.  What hasn't been
>>> mentioned here is that while SL 5.6 hasn't come out, 5.6 security
>>> updates are being backported to SL 5.5.  Ditto with SL 4 (no 4.9 but
>>> security patches look current)
>>>

>> And we try very hard not to release things until they pass our QA testing.
>>

> Let me make something clear: I have been a CentOS user since 2006.  I
> really, really appreciate all of the contributions the CentOS team has
> made--contributions which have been made without being properly
> compensated for the time and effort made.
>

>> We are still finding and correcting issues with the 5.6 things that we
>> have built (things not properly linking when compared to upstream, etc).
>>

> As I mentioned before, the CentOS team owes me nothing.  If the CentOS
> team decides tomorrow that deathmatching Nexuiz (errr, Xonotic,
> because how dare anyone try making money with their open-source
> project) is more fun than making security updates and getting 5.6 or 6
> out the door, enjoy yourselves!  CentOS does not owe me a single
> release more or even a single security update.
>
> For me, I would rather have timely releases and security updates than
> guaranteed binary compatibility.  My appeal of a RHEL clone is that I
> will be able to use a RHEL 5 clone until 2014 (RHEL 6 clone until
> 2017) and have security issues fixed.

I think I'm seeing a miss-understanding here - please correct me if I'm
wrong.
Binary Compatibility means that rpms made for RHEL will "just work" on
CentOS.
If binary compatibility is dropped in favor of just getting a patch out
the door,
then sooner or later an rpm or module that used to work will fail and
trying to track
down the problem and resolve it will be made more difficult as the
provider of the
rpm has two (or more) possible build environments and dependencies to
deal with.
Be careful what you wish for!!