[CentOS] CUPS drivers for wide printer

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Thu Mar 24 15:34:28 UTC 2011

Robert Heller wrote:
> wrote:
>>
>> I found the .ppd for our brand new HP z3200ps 44" printer - a coworker
>> got me the one from the Mac, and I edited it to separate out the Mac-only
>> commands (there's even an #ifdef in ppd language), and it prints; I
>> don't even need postprocessing, apparently... except that even though it
>> knows how wide the paper is (in this case, a 24" wide roll that came
>> with the printer), it refuses to print a picture that's horizontally wide
>> horizontally, it insists on doing it vertically. That is
>>
>>           ========= saturn =========
>>
>> according to print preview, wants to print

>>               saturn

<snip>
> Two questions:
>
> What format is the 'picture': is it a graphics file (eg .jpeg, etc.) or
> a PDF/PS file or some sort of document (eg word processing file)?
>
> What program are you using to print it?

You hit it, dead on. Found this nice jpg from NASA, large, 5.5M, and first
tried from firefox, then, at the recommendation of a co-worker, eog (Eye
of Gnome). Firefox was mind-bogglingly slow, but neither showed me a
preview other than vertical.

Then, while googling, I saw some comments, and installed OO.o on the
server that the printer's hung off of (*nobody* in our division, other
than us, is going to get to this sucker, not at the price of the ink...).
New text doc, inserted the jpg, made sure it was set to landscape... and I
have a lovely 7"x18" *horizontal* pic of Saturn.

Now to play around, so that it doesn't waste about 6" top and bottom....

    mark