[CentOS] Remote-logging nginx? (or other non-syslog-enabled stuff)

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Thu Mar 24 21:14:54 UTC 2011

On Thursday, March 24, 2011 04:44:00 pm Dr. Ed Morbius wrote:
> on 16:35 Thu 24 Mar, Lamar Owen (lowen at pari.edu) wrote:
> > On Thursday, March 24, 2011 04:23:38 pm Dr. Ed Morbius wrote:
> > > I'm looking for suggestions as to a good general method of
> > > remote-logging services such as nginx or anything else which doesn't
> > > support syslog natively.
> >
> > logger
>
> I'm familiar with it.

Have you tried it?  Prior to PostgreSQL supporting syslog I used it to pipe PostgreSQL output to syslog.  Worked fine.

> So:  as part of a robust production system solution, how would I, say,
> avoid retransmitting old log data?

Timestamps, good NTP setup, and log deduplication.  Better to have retransmitted than to never have transmitted at all.

Or, in the specific case of nginx, use the syslog patch from Marlon de Boer.

But nginx is not in the CentOS repos that I can see; logger is, however, and the general usage of logger in the CentOS context would be on-topic.