[CentOS] Remote-logging nginx? (or other non-syslog-enabled stuff)

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Fri Mar 25 13:08:54 UTC 2011

On Thursday, March 24, 2011 06:52:24 pm Dr. Ed Morbius wrote:
> Right, and the general solution also generalizes to other tools.
> Postgresql (which we aren't using currently) also has its own log
> handler (a small frustration of mine with the database).

PostgreSQL has had syslog support since version 7.x, with programmable facility information in /var/lib/pgsql/data/postgresql.conf.  It's commented out by default; looking at a C4 server that has 7.4.30:
#syslog = 0                     # range 0-2; 0=stdout; 1=both; 2=syslog
#syslog_facility = 'LOCAL0'
#syslog_ident = 'postgres'

(I don't have syslogging enabled for that box for PostgreSQL)

Sometimes it's still nice to see the stdout and stderr, though.  And I don't recall when or if remote support was added; 7.4 was the last version I actively maintained the RPMs for, and the 8.x databases I have running aren't using syslog.