[CentOS] The delays on CentOS 5.6 are causing EPEL incompatibilities

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 22:03:13 UTC 2011

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 5:49 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/25/2011 4:38 PM, Gordon Messmer wrote:
>> On 03/20/2011 12:30 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
>>> Or, maybe there was back in the days when they released source that matched
>>> their binaries
>>
>> Red Hat's published source is what they use to create their binaries.
>> There is no mis-match.
>
> I thought the issue causing the delays is that rebuilding from the
> source does not reproduce their binaries unless you introduce library
> versions that aren't what the source creates.

One has to be cautious about the bootstrap environment, to make sure
that the libraries available in your "mock" or other build
environments are the same libraries. Red Hat seems to be very, very
good about this. Scientific Linux isn't so careful in their
recompilation, something that's been documented here recently, but
it's why I want access to the "/etc/mock/" setups and the non-existent
source control for tweaked packages.