[CentOS] Installing php-mcrypt

Todd Cary todd at aristesoftware.com
Mon Mar 28 04:17:56 UTC 2011

On 3/27/2011 8:48 PM, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
> It has been 6 years since I set up my Linux server and have
> hardly had to touch it in all of those years other than running
> yum update, so I ma rusty in some of the fine details (especially
> at 72).
>
> I located a source for the php-mcrypt rpm
> (php-mcrypt-5.1.6-15.el5.centos.1.i386.rpm), however, isn't there
> an easier method to get and install the appropriate rpm - other
> than downloading it then running rpm?  And when should I use yum
> rather than rpm?
>
> For those of you that use Linux daily, these are very simple
> question, and for that please accept my apologies.
>
> Dr. Todd
>
> --------------------------
>
> Dr. Todd,
>
> Login to the root account
>
> Type in the following :
> yum search php-mcrypt
>
> you should get something like :
>
> ======================================== Matched: php-mcrypt ========================================
> php-mcrypt.x86_64 : Standard PHP module provides mcrypt library support
>
> If this is what you want type in :
>
> yum install php-mycrypt
>
> Have Fun!!!
>
> Greg

Greg -

I remember using rpm to do many of the same things as rpm.  What
factors should one consider in deciding whether to use rpm or yum?

For the last 6 years I used yum update to keep my 4.1 updated
(all the way to 4.8).

[That was about all I ever had to do to the server - except when
the power went off longer than the UPS could keep it up if I was
not home - then I had to boot it up :-)]

--
Ariste Software
Petaluma, CA 94952

http://www.aristesoftware.com