[CentOS] cobbler installation of CentOS-5.5

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Mon Mar 28 17:21:58 UTC 2011

> m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>
> >> 2. The CentOS OS seems to be available in 7 or 8 CDs.
> >> (I tried downloading the DVD ISO with ktorrent,
> >> but this was a complete failure.
> >> It started OK, but then created literally thousands of links
> >> to one file, which brought my server down,
> >> and left it in a state which was quite hard to clean up.)
> >
> > Dunno. Last time I brought down the DVD iso, I had no trouble just doing a
> > straight d/l, no torrent.
>
> Where did you find the DVD ISO?
> When I follow the download instructions at <http://www.centos.org/>
> I am only offered "local", ie west european, mirrors,
> and none of those I looked at had the DVD ISO;
> all of them just had 8 CD ISOs.
>
> > Mount the CD isos using loopback (mount -o loop), and copy.
> > <snip>
>
> I didn't follow this.
> Do you mean mount each of the 8 CDs using loopback?

Yes.

> And what exactly am I meant to copy?

The entire first CD, preserving the directory structure, then copy the
contents of the CentOS subdir of the rest of the CDs to the CentOS
subdir of the copy.  WARNING: for x86_64 system, the resultant directory
is too big to fit on a standard 4700MB DVD-R -- you will have to 'skip'
some files.  The CentOS 5.x x86_64 distro is on 2 DVDs.  Just about
everything is on the first and the second contains about 400MB worth of
openoffice.org langpack files.  You probably don't need these (unless
you plan on writing documents in many, many, many different languages.

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933 / heller at deepsoft.com