[CentOS] centos server network speed check???

Emmanuel Noobadmin centos.admin at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 21:45:10 UTC 2011

On 3/29/11, mcclnx mcc <mcclnx at yahoo.com.tw> wrote:
> we have several servers on same rack and servers are all inside firewall.
> Centos version from 4.X to 5.X.  sometime the connection are very slow
> (compare to servers on other racks also inside firewall).
>
> we discuss with network engineer he ask us use "ping" and traceroute" to
> check.  Both tools response time are good but if we connect through
> application like Web browser, database, or DELL OPMN tool.  The response
> time is very very slow.

Are you connecting to the servers from within the same
network/building or via Internet?

If the ping times are good, it could be the servers are too heavily
loaded, whether due to too many users or inefficient applications. So
they would respond very slowly to requests although there is no
network problem.