[CentOS] OT: google voice + chat <- Re: finding the right serial port, enabling & configuring it [was: Re: fax software]>

ken gebser at mousecar.com
Tue Mar 29 17:37:22 UTC 2011

On 03/29/2011 01:21 PM Stephen Harris wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 12:08:33PM -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
>> GV has been around for years - but previously you had to get an invite
>> from an existing user or go on a waiting list.  Now you can just sign up
>> and get a free number which you can send where you want with/without
>> screening and when it acts as an answering machine it transcribes the
>> message and emails it to you.  Recent additions are that you can make
>> (and I think answer) calls from your computer while signed in to your
>> gmail account and if you have Sprint Cell service you can use that
>
> With the right software and hardware (asterisk and an ATA) you can even
> use the conjunction of google voice and google chat to act as a "real"
> phone line.  Indeed I just wrote up a process :-)
>   http://sweh.spuddy.org/gvoice/
>
> But I think that's getting a little off-topic :-)

OT OK.  So how does this conglomeration work?  Say I have an OpenMoko
phone (openmoko.org) and connect to google voice on the web...  can I
talk like a human on a landline?  What phone number do the other humans
get... to call me?

ATA means
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/AT_Attachment or
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Analog_telephone_adapter