[CentOS] CentOS Digest, Vol 74, Issue 31

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Thu Mar 31 18:20:55 UTC 2011

> thanks for the reply, Phil
>
> It would, were udev not inserting USB and/or eSATA drives at /dev/sdb1
> and/or /dev/sdc1 and exposing the array to the udev rule intended to
> handle only removable devices (at sdc or sdd).  The array then mounts
> unpredictably in /media/xxx-sdc1 or sdd1 - not what is wanted - depend
> on how many removable devices are plugged at the time of rebooting. Of
> course, a single removable device will camp at sdb, which is out of
> reach of udev so the whole hotplug thing is broken until someone removes
> all of the devices at site, allowing a clean boot.

Do you have some *nonstandard* udev rule for hot plug devices? The
*standard* hotplug udev rules are not tied to specific ranges of sdXX's
-- my IDE-based laptop will properly handle a hot plugged USB device at
/dev/sda for example.

The hot plug logic should also not mess with not hot pluged devices.  If
your RAID array is mounted in /etc/fstab (or has a 'noauto' line in
/etc/fstab with the idea of mounting it manually later or has something
in automount's config for automounting it), the hot plug system should
not touch it, no matter what /dev/sdXX it happens to land at, so long as
you are using volume labels or some such to reference the mountable
volumes.

> mapper correctly places the / filesystem higher in position in
> rc.sysinit, followed by start_udev (where the damage gets done) and
> finally fstab evaluation way down the line.  I suppose i could just
> hardwire the array mount into rc.sysint to engage after modules get
> loaded and hopefully before start_udev, unless there is a better way to
> enforce it.  I'm not sure at this stage (need to analyse that ~1000-line
> script) if there is a suitable insertion point.  It would be really good
> if it could be done outside of rc.sysint in some predictable place.

It *sounds* like you have something non-standard / fishy going on in
udev's rules -- I suspect you have some sort of funky homegrown rule
somewhere.