[CentOS] Centos as Gateway ? (Router/transparent proxy)

Arun Khan knura9 at gmail.com
Tue May 3 05:47:55 UTC 2011

On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 12:33 AM, John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:
> On 05/02/11 6:31 AM, Kai Schaetzl wrote:
>> Correct. The easy solution is to ban bittorrent and other P2P services.
>

> not as easy as it sounds.   those services are remarkably agile at
> dodging firewall rules

Layer 7 net filtering may help [1]

Also, IMO the HW spec, that the OP has posted, is an overkill.

I am using ZeroShell  [2] in production (ALIX hardware).   It has
almost all the features that the OP has listed in his wish list +  L7
filter capabilities but I have not used it.  Wi-Fi support - it uses
MadWi-Fi.

In most cases, a Captive Portal is enough deterrent for people to curb
their "promiscuous" surfing habits :)

[1] http://l7-filter.clearfoundation.com/  - not sure if it is
incorporated into ClearOS.
[2] http://www.zeroshell.net.