[CentOS] RHEL 6.1 beta

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed May 4 16:08:04 UTC 2011

On 5/4/2011 10:43 AM, Blake Hudson wrote:

>> We create images and ghost them onto various hardware platforms. I
>> just make sure I remove the
>> net persistent rules and the ifcfg-ethn stuff and they are then
>> redetected in the correct order.
>>

> Ditto, working with Dell hardware mostly, 2 or 4 NICs, never had an
> issue with them flipping or rearranging or out of order with the labels
> on CentOS5. We did have some problems with Fedora detecting in the wrong
> order, though we did not experience a flip.

Maybe if they all take the same driver they are probed in a fixed order.
  Mine usually have a mix of at least broadcomm and intel. Also note
that once the NIC mac address is set as HWADDR= in the ifcfg-eth? file
the settings will stay fixed (with a weird scheme of renaming the device
after kernel detection...).

> Images made with Clonezilla work fine, though the NICs come back up as
> DHCP - unsure if this was clonezilla or kudzu.

Clonezilla just copies your source, so the same thing happens as would
happen if you moved the original disk to a different chassis - which is
also a likely scenario for me.  Kudzu will rename your ifcfg-eth? files
with a .bak extension and create new ones that default to dhcp.  If
kudzu doesn't run and you have the wrong HWADDR= setting in the file the
interface won't come up at all.

 > Either way it was easy enough to configure an IP manually.

This gets a lot harder when you've shipped the disk elsewhere for
installation and the operators there only know windows.

> I can see ethX/Y, eth0/1, 0/2, etc where X is the bus and Y is the port
> being acceptable, although most people probably won't experience a
> benefit. The BSD method of fxp0, rl0, etc is a pain in the rear. How
> exactly is the naming convention supposed to occur?

I think the bsd's have a mapping between the driver needed and the
device name.  I don't really care what the name is, as long as I know
the names that correspond to the physical jacks and they are consistent
across machines with the same bus/card layout.

--
    Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com