[CentOS] Finding wich files a writen to

Nicolas Ross

rossnick-lists at cybercat.ca
Wed May 4 16:17:15 UTC 2011

Hi !

I have a server (Centos 5) that is using a pair of SAS drives to store the
data. (Mail server) They are on an adaptec raid controler with a battery
backup and write back cache active.

>From time to time, I have sever peak io to those data disks (> 400 to 500
iops, > 70 to 100 megs/sec).

With iostat, I find that it's almost a write i/o problem. How can I find to
which files the OS writes ? On OSX boxes, there is a utility called fs_usage
that can reports any disk activity for a particular process or all
processes. Is there any utility like this on Centos ?

iotop can points me to wich process, but that doesn't points me to what
files are the culprits...