[CentOS] EL 6 rollout strategies? (Scientific Linux)

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Fri May 6 18:44:40 UTC 2011

On 05/06/2011 01:31 PM, Benjamin Smith wrote:
> I was wondering what feedback might be offered by the CentOS community
> on their experiences using Scientific Linux?
>

> I'm a long-time Centos user, and am basically happy with CentOS. I
> understand there are delays getting EL 6 out. We have been long anxious
> to roll out EL 6 as soon as it's ready, but our time window for rollout
> is looming and we will need to act. (for business reasons, we need to
> rollout over summer, before Aug 1, we need to start regression testing
> now!)
>

> I was once a WhiteBox Enterprise Linux user and switched to CentOS 4
> without issue, and am assuming that I might need to do something similar
> if we decide to go this route.
>

> Any feedback is appreciated!

We are getting fairly close to having a tree ready to send to QA.  The
goal for sending the tree is 10 May 2011.  It might not happen before
then, but it should happen within a week of that date.

Disclaimer:  We may have something that fails to work and throws a
monkey wrench in the plans ... but it is getting close.

I would expect once it is in QA that we can release in 2-4 weeks
(maximum) from that point.

But the real question is, do you want to use EL6.  I personally would
only roll out testing stuff on EL 6 at this point (be it SL 6.0, Oracle
UBL 6.0, RHEL 6.0, etc.).  CentOS 5 still has 3 years of normal support
before its retirement date, and is much more mature at this point (IMHO).