[CentOS] EL 6 rollout strategies? (Scientific Linux)

Benjamin Smith lists at benjamindsmith.com
Fri May 6 18:56:21 UTC 2011

On Friday, May 06, 2011 11:44:40 AM Johnny Hughes wrote:
> But the real question is, do you want to use EL6.  I personally would
> only roll out testing stuff on EL 6 at this point (be it SL 6.0, Oracle
> UBL 6.0, RHEL 6.0, etc.).  CentOS 5 still has 3 years of normal support
> before its retirement date, and is much more mature at this point (IMHO).

Yes, I'm pretty sure I want to switch to EL 6. Way back when, I was fairly
aggressive switching to EL 4, and have enjoyed a very long, stable period as a
result. I don't really want to switch frequently, I'd rather "shake it all out
in one fell swoop" and then not worry about it again for as long as possible.

At this point, I'm likely to begin testing with SL 6, and then switch to
CentOS (if it's available in time) prior to actual rollout in a few month's
time.

I recognize (and appreciate!) CentOS' dedication to quality before
punctuality, even if it is inconvenient at times.

-Ben

believed to be clean.