[CentOS] Drive recovery?

Ashley M. Kirchner

ashley at pcraft.com
Tue May 10 18:24:00 UTC 2011

     I have a CentOS 5.6 system (recently installed) that, for some
reason, has decided to mangle one of its drives, specifically /dev/hde1
...  No errors anywhere, just rebooted the machine over the weekend and
it's gone.  Up till the reboot, the drive was fine, I was writing to it
without a problem.

     fdisk tells me:

----------
# fdisk -l /dev/hde

Disk /dev/hde: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
240 heads, 63 sectors/track, 20673 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 15120 * 512 = 7741440 bytes

/dev/hde1   *           1       20673   156287848+  83  Linux
----------

     There are no hardware errors in the boot log (dmesg).  The only
error is that it can't find the ext3 fs that was on that drive.
Unfortunately, it's not a drive I can simply reformat and call it a
day.  There's data on it I need.

     When I try to mount it, I get: hfs: unable to find HFS+
superblock.  Obviously that's not right as the drive was formatted as an
ext3.  So if I force it, I get this:

mount -t ext3 /dev/hde1 /mnt/hde1
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hde1,
        missing codepage or other error
        dmesg | tail  or so