[CentOS] EL 6 rollout strategies? (Scientific Linux)

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed May 11 17:51:08 UTC 2011

On 5/11/2011 8:53 AM, Lamar Owen wrote:

> In my case, I have essentially three choices:
> 1.) Use SL 6;
> 2.) Wait on C6;
> 3.) Buy RHEL6.
>
> All of the three have costs, visible and hidden.  3 obviously has monetary costs, but both 1 and 2 have time and risk costs, since neither SL nor CentOS will be as fast on updates as choice 3.
>
> There are boxes I'm possibly going with SL, but my servers are likely to remain CentOS, unless and until I can get funding to purchase RHEL (which, since it's a subscription, must be purchased out of opex funding).  But I fully realize that if I want a fully supported product in the EL space I'm going to have to pay for it, either with RHEL or Oracle or SuSE.

Individual/personal support is one thing, timely distro updates is
something else.  With limited experience, I'm beginning to think ubuntu
LTS would be a player in the latter space. I've always been a fan of the
coordination they have among the additional repositories that is lacking
in yum/rpm equivalents and was impressed when my 9.0.4 installs
painlessly upgraded themselves to 10.0.4.  Admittedly, not as many
locally configured apps as on my Centos boxes, but it all still seemed
to be working after the major-version over-the-network upgrade.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com