[CentOS] EL 6 rollout strategies? (Scientific Linux)

Akemi Yagi amyagi at gmail.com
Fri May 13 00:55:12 UTC 2011

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 5:31 PM,  <aurfalien at gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 12, 2011, at 4:47 PM, Ron Blizzard wrote:
>
>> CentOS chose another. Personally I happen to
>> agree with CentOS' choice here.
>
> +1

I think *both* distros made the right choice.  :)

CentOS and SL handle security updates differently. CentOS's choice was
right for CentOS because the delivery of security updates provided by
5.6 was more urgent for existing 5.x users than getting a
"non-existing" new major release out.

SL's choice was right for SL because they backport security updates.
This is similar to what  upstream's EUS (Extended Update Support)
provides -- one can stay at a point release (like 5.4) for a period of
time security fixes are available. So doing 6.0 first is not a concern
for 5.x users.

Akemi