[CentOS] Centos 5.5 mmap.c and mmap hints

Frank Chang

frank_chang91 at hotmail.com
Sun May 15 11:45:58 UTC 2011

 Good morning, We are trying to figure out how to properly provide adresss hints to mmap on 32-bit Centos 5.5. Does any documentation exist about to how to provide address hints to mmap on 32-bit Centos 5.5? If so, where can we find this documentation.
     In order to understand mmap better, we decided to try to find the Centos 5.5 source code for mmap.c. We already installed the kernel source code using the following commands : # cd /tmp
# wget ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/5Server/en/os/SRPMS/kernel-2.6.18-8.1.8.el5.src.rpm
# rpm -ivh kernel-2.6.18-8.1.8.el5.src.rpm

However, we can't find the source code for the functions: void *mmap(void *start, size_t length, int prot, int flags, int fd, off_t offset);

and
int munmap(void *start, size_t length); Where could we obtain the source code for the system function: void *mmap(void *start, size_t length, int prot, int flags, int fd, off_t offset)? Thank you.

    We have already run the following commands  $ su
 # vi /etc/sysctl.conf
...and append
vm.vdso_enabled = 0
vm.mmap_min_addr = 4096