[CentOS] Problem Making Tarballs

Ljubomir Ljubojevic office at plnet.rs
Tue May 17 11:18:03 UTC 2011

John J. Boyer wrote:
> Les,
>
> I installed the development tools and development libraries, as you
> suggested. I even tried to install packages x*.x86_64 There were some
> unresolved dependencies in the latter, so I used --skip-broken with yum.
> There was a report of conflicting files, so i don't know how much was
> actually installed.
>
> Anyway, when I run autogen.sh configure make on a read-only copy of the
> liblouis svn repository I get the following errors.
>
> ../libtool: line 826: X--tag=CC: command not found
> ../libtool: line 859: libtool: ignoring unknown tag : command not found
> ../libtool: line 826: X--mode=compile: command not found
> ../libtool: line 992: *** Warning: inferring the mode of operation is deprecated.: command not found
> ../libtool: line 993: *** Future versions of Libtool will require --mode=MODE be specified.: command not found
> ../libtool: line 1136: Xgcc: command not found
> ../libtool: line 1136: X-DHAVE_CONFIG_H: command not found
> ../libtool: line 1136: X-I.: command not found
> ../libtool: line 1136: X-I../../gnulib: No such file or directory
> ../libtool: line 1136: X-I../liblouis: No such file or directory
> ../libtool: line 1136: X-g: command not found
> ../libtool: line 1136: X-O2: command not found
> ../libtool: line 1136: X-MT: command not found
> ../libtool: line 1136: Xprogname.lo: command not found
> ../libtool: line 1136: X-MD: command not found
> ../libtool: line 1136: X-MP: command not found
> ../libtool: line 1136: X-MF: command not found
> ../libtool: line 1136: X.deps/progname.Tpo: No such file or directory
> ../libtool: line 1136: X-c: command not found
> ../libtool: line 1188: Xprogname.lo: command not found
> ../libtool: line 1193: libtool: compile: cannot determine name of library object from `': command not found
> make[3]: *** [progname.lo] Error 1
> make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
> make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
>
> This repository works on my home Linux machine, which is older than the
> vps.
>
> Thanks,
> John

You continuously make same mistakes when giving info. This one will be
very hard to do if you assume things. Like that we know what your home
machine looks like. If was you, I would volunteered following information:

CentOS vps is version 5.?? with following third person repositories
active (guess because you have dependency issues) , and my home machine
is ???? Linux system version ??? with following repositories active.

Have you looked at packages (and their versions!) needed to compile that
  app in the README file?

I notice you are one of developers but guess you do not have much rpm
experience. I can see SRPMS for Fedora 14, 15 and 16
(http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/updates/14/SRPMS/liblouis-2.2.0-2.fc14.src.rpm)
and I wonder why would you want to compile it from scratch when
recompiling it would be much better.

I am going to try to recompile Fedora SRPM and see what is the problem.

Ljubomir