[CentOS] EL 6 rollout strategies? (Scientific Linux)

Benjamin Franz jfranz at freerun.com
Tue May 17 11:37:54 UTC 2011

On 05/16/2011 02:44 PM, nemus at grayhatlabs.com wrote:
> I never thought sliced bread was all that great.
>
> Wouldn't it be better for people to donate money to help push things along
> faster?
>
> I mean if your really upset about how long its taken to come out why don't
> you donate some money to help the people who are working for free?

Love to. Actually got approval from my company to do so years ago: The
project donations page has been down ("CentOS is currently reviewing our
cash donation program. In the mean time we are not accepting any
financial donations. We do appreciate though, if you want to - for
example - help out with promo material. See our Wiki page on donations
<http://wiki.centos.org/Donate> for more up to date information.") for
around two years now.

It is very hard to take dev complaints about how 'no one wants to
contribute' seriously when the devs have avoided setting up an easy
mechanism for people to contribute money *to the project* for years now.
Money doesn't solve all problems (and creates some new ones of its own),
but it can pay developers, buy new servers for development, and create
other resources.

But I will not throw money at the devs as no-string gifts to them as
individuals. If they want to 'board the gravy train' by making a living
from the project, I'm thrilled for them. I've no problem with people
being compensated for their work. Form a formally chartered organization
with accountable mechanisms for paying the devs. Go to town on it.

If they just want people to give them money personally (which some devs
have, perhaps tongue in cheek, suggested on this list) with no
accountability or expectation that that money actually specifically
support the project, well, they can keep dreaming.

--
Benjamin Franz