[CentOS] a hardware question

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Tue May 17 20:55:11 UTC 2011

John R Pierce wrote:
> On 05/17/11 12:49 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>> We need to replace several servers, quickly - four of our Dell PE 1950's
>> died in one week. (!!!) So, we're looking around, and I was checking out
>> IBM. I customized to what we want, and hit 'continue', and suddenly
>> there's another $800 for a "system common planar" that's "required".
>> Googling only finds specs with it - does anyone know what it is? I mean,
>> it's not like it's the motherboard, right?
>
> indeed, Planar is IBM-speak for a mainboard.   IBM has a lot of their
> own unique terminology.  For ages disk drives were called DASD (Direct
> Access Storage Devices).

Yup. I started on mainframes, and can think DASD.

> generally, on the IBM 'express' configurations, everything required is
> included in the base configuration.  sounds like you were off in their
> custom build land, which is mostly intended for bulk orders and
> everything is /a la carte/.

I got the base configuration, I thought, for something like $2100+, and
was customizing it. I wonder what I got for that amount - the case, and
(as my co-worker said) the IBM logo?

> I *highly* recommend working with an IBM VAR who will sort out the
> configurations for you.

Yeah, well, we probably won't go with them; we'll probably do Dell, but I
was looking around - when we get to ordering, we're required to have three
competing bids.

       mark