[CentOS] Feed a list of filenames to vim

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed May 18 17:26:03 UTC 2011

On 5/18/2011 12:02 PM, Bowie Bailey wrote:
> On 5/18/2011 12:58 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:

>>> That's one of those occasionally-useful tidbits that I will have
>>> completely forgotten about by the time I need to use it again!  :-)
>> Don't think of it as a special case.  It is a combination of two
>> generically useful simple operations.  Unix, the shell, and vi are all
>> about being able to reuse and combine simple steps instead of
>> special-casing everything.
>
> Right.  I was referring to the shell shortcut "$(<  filename)".  Simple -
> Useful - and probably forgotten by the time I need it again.

That's the same thing I meant.  It is $(command) which is the same as
`command` where the output of the command replaces it on the command
line before further evaluation.  That's something you can use
frequently.   And '< filename' to control i/o redirection is something
you can use even more frequently.  So it's like doing '20i- <esc>'
inside of vi to insert a dashed line.  You don't have to know
specifically that you can give a count with the insert command, you just
know you can combine a count with any command.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com