[CentOS] EL 6 rollout strategies? (Scientific Linux)

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Wed May 18 19:49:02 UTC 2011

On 05/18/2011 08:01 AM, Les Mikesell wrote:
> It was discussed, but that doesn't change anyone's mindset about open vs. closed
> processes or whether being more open and permitting community insight and
> participation would ultimately keep the project from going the way of Whitebox.

Hello Les,

CentOS is used on more web servers than Red Hat Enterprise Linux and
Fedora combined ... it is not going anywhere.

Also, the slight decrease that was happening in Linux in general (which
was mirrored by CentOS) in October of 2010 is also corrected.

http://w3techs.com/technologies/details/os-centos/all/all

Facebook uses thousands of CentOS servers.  They are quite happy with
it.  Amazon EC2 has thousands of CentOS servers.  They are also quite
happy with it. We just became a fully supported OS on Microsoft Hyper-V.

Can we do a better job at some things, sure.  But trust me, CentOS is
going nowhere.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes