[CentOS] OT: RHEL 6.1 is out

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu May 19 15:59:58 UTC 2011

On 5/19/2011 10:15 AM, R - elists wrote:

> Les wrote:
>> Everyone expected this from Red Hat before the 'EL' versions
>> when publishing a free CD of community work was the way QA
>> was done.  (And if you've forgotten, go dig through some
>> changelogs of that era to see just how bad things were and
>> how much we gained from that process).  But wasn't closing
>> the process and letting 'experts' do that before shipping
>> supposed to have improved things?
>>

> not really sure what you are saying Les...
>
> what are you saying?

I'm saying that Red Hat got to be a big company because of the community
involvement after they shipped buggy code that would boot on most PCs of
the era and some (probably small)percentage of the users were able to
contribute fixes and bug reports.

> are you talking about Red Hat internal processes ?

I'm talking about the change in that process where the community is only
involved in Fedora, and the expectation that the closed work on EL was
supposed to make it less buggy when shipped.

> it is a very profitable publically traded corporate structure with employees
> and products...

Yes, it is clear why closing access is a benefit to them.  Not so much
to anyone else.

> what dont you understand about that?

Did I misunderstand the comment about X.0 releases?  I took it to mean
that the closed work didn't really product a perfect result.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com