[CentOS] SSD for Centos SWAP /tmp & /var/ partition

Keith Roberts keith at karsites.net
Sun May 22 11:06:28 UTC 2011

On Sun, 22 May 2011, yonatan pingle wrote:

> From: yonatan pingle <yonatan.pingle at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] SSD for Centos SWAP /tmp & /var/ partition
>
> On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 10:57 AM, Steven Crothers
> <steven.crothers at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I was running on 3gbps sata bus, and the  performance was great, it
>>> just dies in one big crash without  giving any clues about it.
>>
>> If only SSD's were a viable solution for long-term storage, we could
>> theoretically increase our virtualization many times over. It's to bad
>> the technology hasn't come far enough to be used that way though
>> without costing an arm and leg.

But it's going in the right direction now.

>> --
>> Steven Crothers
>> steven.crothers at gmail.com

> the only way to go with SSD is RAID due to these reasons.
> it's unlikely that two disks will die at the same time, so it's
> possible to use and enjoy them ,
> but don't forget to have a fresh backup and a raid array. ( that
> should be done also with an ordinary disk array anyways ).

That's EXACTLY what I was thinking. Two 40GB SSD drives in a
RAID array would not cost much at all. Move all the disk
intensive stuff to that. I only have two root partitions of
20GB each for my main install - everything else is on other
partitions on 2 x 500GB E-IDE drives. So putting the
root partion on a small SSD (possibly RAIDed) is another
option. Like most new electronics components, as time passes
the mass production cost fall dramatically, and the
technology improves. Look at the way HDD technology
continues to advance.

Maybe in 5 years time the cost of SSD's will be alot
cheaper? Possibly in another 15 years time HDD's with moving
parts will be consigned to history and science museums? I'm
watching this technology very closely, and I'm very tempted
to buy a small 40GB SSD like OWC's.

They keep performing at optimal speed according to the specs
for that drive.

The OWC SSD's are supposed to have a MTTF of 2 million
hours, PLUS they do not degrade over time. So if an OWC
keeps going until MTTF, that's 24 x 365 = 8760 HPY. 2000000
/ 8760 = 228.31 years MTTF ?

So why does it only have a 3 year warranty? - LOL

For me anything on SWAP has to be better than a s/h drive
thats had almost a years running time according to the SMART
data on the drive:

9 Power_On_Hours  0x0032   090   090   000
   Old_age   Always       -       7913

329 days running time already - let's see how long this
one lasts before it kicks the bucket.

Kind Regards,

Keith Roberts

Websites: