[CentOS] SSD for Centos SWAP /tmp & /var/ partition

Gordon Messmer yinyang at eburg.com
Sun May 22 17:18:35 UTC 2011

On 05/20/2011 01:26 PM, Keith Roberts wrote:
> I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to use a new SSD
> for moving all the disk i/o to, that Linux likes to do so
> often.

Yes, it's often a really good idea.  If you're doing software RAID on
Linux, you really should either disable disk drives' write cache or have
the system on a UPS with monitoring and automated shutdown.  Most people
will opt for the latter.  Using an SSD can boost write performance and
reliability for other systems.  I just found this write-up on the topic:

http://insights.oetiker.ch/linux/external-journal-on-ssd.html

> Plus putting SWAP onto a decent SSD should speed
> things up somewhat.

Well, only if you're using swap space.  If that's the case, adding RAM
to the system will probably be less expensive and a lot more effective.